Friday, April 22, 2011

Pops, South End

Pops Restaurant in the South End is on Tremont Street with several other future brunch places. When I first moved to Boston two years ago, my god-father and I got lost on Tremont Street during Pride weekend. I loved the area but never found it again. Driving around the area looking for parking was so fun. Dan thinks it is because I am a hippie, but I thought the area was very cute and now I am going to make him move there.

The night before visiting Pops we opened up our list and looked at the four or so restaurants in the South End. I told Dan he could pick and he chose a different restaurant…we ended up at my choice, Pops. After looking at the menu I thought the French toast looked good and I wanted to try something other than my standard eggs, bacon, and home fries.

There were not many people there and we were seated right away. I hate small tables, so I was not pleased with the seating options. Also, I was surprised by how small it was inside. However, they were playing R&B music and I was impressed by the vibe and the décor. It was hip but subtle. There was nothing particularly special about the service. We were served in a very timely manner and we appreciated it.

I ordered the Brioche Pecan French Toast with Nutella and Bananas. I planned on stealing some of Dan’s meal, the POPS breakfast: three eggs, bacon, roasted potato hash, and Texas toast.

The food was the best brunch food I have ever tasted. Everything was done to perfection. I ate much more of Dan’s food than I expected. It was so delicious that I could not stop. My French toast was delightful. It was sweet and required no added syrup . The bananas and pecans balanced out the sweetness of the Nutella which I’d never had before. I could rave on and on about how good the food tasted but I lack the lexicon to describe foods and flavor. Please just take my word for it. I would highly recommend people check this place out

Service: B+
Ambiance: A-
Menu Creativity (Options): B+ (Not too many options but very creative.)
Taste: A+
Overall: A

-Candice

Pops has always been a favorite of mine, and I have had dinner or lunch there about 3 times.  (For lunch the Steak Sandwich is phenomenal.)  This was my first time having breakfast/brunch there.  I had the Pops breakfast: 3 eggs, roasted hash browns, Texas toast and bacon.  This very well might be the best brunch I have ever had.  The eggs were perfectly scrambled, bacon was crispy and nowhere near over cooked.  The Texas Toast was outstanding, toasty,  garlicky, and buttery.   My OJ was freshly squeezed and served in a nice scotch glass.  What stole the show was the French toast that Candice had, it is served with no maple syrup but it is smothered with bananas, walnuts and Nutella.  This was a great mixture of textures, flavors, and deliciousness. 
The service was perfect for brunch; thr server kept an eye on the table but only came over a couple times.  There restaurant was immaculately clean and was playing remixes of 80’s and 90’s music.  Just a side note: I love the silverware.  It is perfectly weighted with a great design; the only ones I like more are at Umbria.  This is a must go, and a severely underrated brunch spot.  The only issue is the parking situation but with patience that can be overcome. 

Service: A-
Taste: A+
Ambiance: A
Menu Creativity (Options): B+
Overall Experience: A+
-Dan

Total Bill: 36

No comments:

Post a Comment